Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Top 10 Worlds That Need to Be in Kingdom Hearts III


So Kingdom Hearts III is finally happening. I know this was announced months ago but I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the awesomeness. The Kingdom Hearts franchise is easily one of my favorites (even if it has been stumbling along through handheld systems for nearly ten years now) and as a long-time fan, one of the most exciting aspects of the announcement is getting the chance to speculate what new Disney worlds might be featured this time.

So without further ado, here are my personal choices for top 10 worlds that need to be in Kingdom Hearts III. If you disagree or think I missed something, then feel free to let me know in the comments.


10: Big Hero 6 (November 7, 2014)


World: San Fransokyo
Ally: TBA (From what I can gather, it seems like Hiro will be the main character but since the film is so early in production, it's hard to say who the best ally would be).
Likelihood: Unlikely/Possible

If you're like me and not a super comic book aficionado you might be wondering what Big Hero 6 is. Well take a second and follow that link and then this one to catch yourself up. Awesome right? I know there's been a lot of talk recently about including The Avengers or a Marvel world of some sort in Kingdom Hearts III now that Disney owns the rights but there are still two huge problems I see here (as much as I would LOVE to see Spider-man fighting alongside Sora). 1. I'm sure there's still a number of licensing snafus when it comes to Disney + Marvel + Square + Video Games. 2. Marvel is such a huge entity with so many various universes that it would be difficult to decide what to include.

Which brings us to Big Hero 6. As the Wiki article states, this will be the first animated Disney film to feature Marvel characters. As such, if Kingdom Hearts were to include a Marvel-themed world, I feel like this would be the one that would make it.

Now since so little is known about the Disney film adaptation I felt like I couldn't put Big Hero 6 up higher on the list. Still, from what I've seen, San Fransokyo seems like it would be a unique and interesting addition to the Kingdom Hearts series.

9: The Emperor's New Groove (December 15, 2000)


World: Kingdom of the Sun
Ally: Kuzco or Pacha
Likelihood: Unlikely/Possible

As a fan-favorite and one of the quirkier Disney animated features, I'm surprised that The Emperor's New Groove hasn't made even the slightest appearance in the Kingdom Hearts series. With a host of kooky characters and a colorful jungle setting that could rival Tarzan's 'Deep Jungle,' this seems like a solid choice to me. Plus, who wouldn't love to see Sora turned into a llama?

8: Meet the Robinsons (March 30, 2007)


World: TomorrowLand
Ally: Lewis
Likelihood: Possible

I feel like Meet the Robinsons is one of those often over-looked Disney animated films that deserves more credit. I mean come on, there's no other film on this list that has jet-packs, bowler hats, T-rexs, jazz singing frogs, AND time travel. You combine those elements in a futuristic, Jetsons-esque world with lots of fun gadgets and robo-heartless and this has Kingdom Hearts written all over it.

7: Frozen (November 27, 2013)


World: Arendelle
Ally: Elsa (or Kristoff or Anna)
Likelihood: Likely

First of all, if you haven't seen Frozen yet, stop what you're doing and go watch it now. It's by far the best Disney film to come along in years. Okay, now that that's out of the way, you're probably wondering why it's number seven on this list. The simple answer is that I feel like it's such a given that I don't even have to mention it. Besides the immense popularity the film has garnered already, it just feels like a natural fit for Kingdom Hearts. The frosty world would be unique to the series (apart from a brief section of Mulan in KHII) and Elsa would make the perfect ally with her ice powers. Not to mention seeing Donald and Goofy interact with Olaf would be priceless.

6: Wreck-It Ralph (November 2, 2012)


World: Sugar Rush (or Inside Litwak's Arcade)
Ally: Wreck-It Ralph
Likelihood: Possible

Now obviously including some of the video game characters like Sonic, Bowser, and Bison would be out of the question due to licensing issues, but I don't see a reason why we can't have an arcade themed world (a la Tron) or a Sugar Rush world from Wreck-It Ralph. Not only would Ralph be a radical ally for Sora (I mean, they both world jump, right?) to team up with, but the Cy-Bugs would also be excellent enemies for heartless variations. That and I can only imagine what kind of catastrophic arguments would occur between Donald and Vanellope. Let's hope the stink brains at Square Enix can make this happen.

5: Treasure Planet (November 27, 2002)



World: Treasure Planet
Ally: Jim Hawkins
Likelihood: Possible

Treasure Planet is one of those odd Disney feature films that didn't do too well in the box-office but managed to garner somewhat of a cult following. Treasure Island being one of my favorite novels, the film holds a special place in my Disney heart and I would love to see it included in Kingdom Hearts III. We've already seen Sora and gang swashbuckling alongside Peter Pan and Jack Sparrow so why not throw him on board with ol' Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins? In fact, Sora's opening on Destiny Islands and longing to 'see other worlds' always reminded me of Jim and I think they'd make great allies. Also: Solar Surfing mini-game - just putting it out there.

4: Star Wars: Rebels (Fall, 2014)


World: Yavin 4?
Ally: Kanan Jarrus
Likelihood: Unlikely

I'm pretty sure the minute Star Wars was purchased by Disney, the internet was abuzz with talk about the possibility of Sora teaming up with Luke Skywalker - or the epic Mickey Mouse and Yoda alliance - in (the then still unannounced) Kingdom Hearts III. As much as I would love to see a light saber/keyblade crossover, Star Wars falls in at number 4 on this list for the same reasons I mentioned about Marvel in number 10 - I'm hesitant because the universe of Star Wars is so enormous that it would be difficult to decide what to include in a single Kingdom Hearts world.

This brings me to why I've specifically singled out Star Wars: Rebels for this list. Not only would the upcoming Disney-distributed series fit Kingdom Hearts graphical style nicely, but it would also be a smaller time-period and cast of characters.

I'm sure there are still a number of licensing issues here and it may be a crazy hope but to paraphrase Jiminy Cricket 'When you wish upon a star wars, your dreams come true.'

3: The Jungle Book (October 18, 1967)


World: Indian Jungle
Ally: Baloo (or Mowgli or Bagheera)
Likelihood: Likely

As with many Kingdom Hearts fans, it completely baffles me that one of the bare necessities of Disney animated film, The Jungle Book, has not yet been included in any of the games (not even as a summon!). I understand that it would've made for two similar worlds with Tarzan being featured in the original Kingdom Hearts, but how did it get passed up a second time after that? Or why was Tarzan chosen over Jungle Book in the first place?

There's just so many fantastic elements of this movie that could be used. Epic villain - Shere Khan: check. Minor boss - Kaa: check. Plot points - King Louie distracting Sora from his mission with false promises: check.

In fact, The Jungle Book was so close to being in the Kingdom Hearts series that there's apparently even coding for the world in Birth By Sleep. I'm hoping that it wasn't cut due to some kind of licensing catch because this is by far one of my all-time favorite Disney films and it lends itself perfectly to the Kingdom Hearts universe.

2: Spirited Away (September 20, 2002)
Or really any Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki Film




World: Spirit Bathhouse
Ally: Chihiro (or Haku)
Likelihood: Unlikely

One awesome thing about the Kingdom Hearts series is that it's known for tossing in worlds from some unexpected sources (ie: Nightmare Before Christmas, Tron, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.). What better source material to surprise series fans and draw in newcomers than Hayao Miyazaki's Oscar-winning darling, Spirited Away?

It might seem like a stretch at first but a number of Miyazaki's more recent films (ie: Ponyo and The Secret World of Arietty) have finally broke through to a wider American audience (under Disney distribution) so this may not be completely out of the realm of possibility.

I, for one, would love to see Sora forced into working at the bathhouse alongside Chihiro or an epic confrontation against No-Face or Yubaba. With so much magic and such a diverse cast of characters, Spirited Away is ripe for a Disney crossover. Please, Nomura? I'd even help clean a stink spirit's bath chamber... err... on second thought... that might be too much.

1: Toy Story (November 22, 1995)
And really most Pixar films




World: Andy's Room/Sid's Room
Ally: Buzz Lightyear (and/or Woody)
Likelihood: Likely

It took me a long time to decide whether or not I should include more Pixar films on this list but I ultimately felt like it would seem unbalanced if I did since the top six or seven would basically be almost all Pixar. Instead, I've decided to clump them together and include my top Pixar choice in the number 1 spot.

If we're counting Pixar, Toy Story is easily in my top three favorite Disney films of all-time. I can understand why it hasn't been included in the Kingdom Hearts series so far (that whole Pixar/Disney battle of rights and such) but now that the dispute seems to be over, I'd be shocked if we didn't see virtual toy versions of Sora (plastic action figure), Donald (squeak toy, obviously), and Goofy (stuffed animal).

In fact, similar to The Jungle Book, there's actually code for Buzz and Woody summons in KHII.

BONUS: Top 5 Pixar Worlds That Need to Be in Kingdom Hearts III

5. A Bug's Life - The most underrated and forgotten Pixar film in my opinion. I think it would make a unique world and it'd be neat to see insect versions of Sora and friends.
4. Finding Nemo - This could replace the Atlantica (Little Mermaid) world nicely. Clown fish Sora maybe?
3. The Incredibles - 'Nomanisan Island' would make a perfect world and fighting alongside the Incredibles would be TOTALLY WICKED!
2. Monsters, Inc. - Monster versions of Sora and friends are almost too awesome to pass up and Sully would make one heck of an ally.
1. Toy Story - See above, obviously

Well, that's about it for this list. The simple fact is though, whatever worlds are included in Kingdom Hearts III, I will be purchasing it day one and playing the heck out of it. Thanks for reading!


So what're you're top ten? or five? or three?

1 comment: