Monday, January 20, 2014

Do You Remember?

Do You Remember When I Used to Have a Blog That One Time?



It's funny how the best of intentions mean nothing if you don't follow through. You know how people always say "well it's the thought that counts"? I don't think that's right. I think it's the following through with that thought that counts. Are you picking up on the hypocriticism... hypocriticality... hypocriticalness... the fact that I'm being hypocritical here? If not, take a moment to see the date of my last post. I'll wait.

Okay, are you back? Good. Yeah, I feel like a blogger that posts every two and a half years is probably not going to get very many people to read his or her work. Either that or the uber-elusive nature and low-to-non-existent frequency is so tantalizing that this very post will receive thousands of views because of the incredible anticipation (that's my understanding of supply and demand, anyway) I've kept my fanbase waiting in. What is the minimum number of fans required to call it a 'fanbase' anyway?

Okay, so before I lose you with my ramblings - but really that's why you came, right? - this is all to say that I intend to start blogging again. (Please hold your applause until the end of the post). So expect more writing snippets, rambling thoughts, slam poems, movie/game/book/music talk and reviews, and of course general shenanigans and I'll do my best not to disappoint you.

Before you move on to the newer posts with actual writing content in them, though, I thought perhaps I should give a brief update of what I've been up to in those past two and a half years. And so as not to bore you (further), I'll do it in semi-Seussical rhyme.

When last we left off,
With the fellow named Gentry,
He'd written about games,
For his final blog entry.

And in his free time,
Oh the games he still plays,
But he now has two jobs,
That steal most of his days.

The first is at school,
One with a funny old name,
They don't like to say 'Snoo',
But he says SNHU the same.

And oh what a job this job is,
The best, best, best, best!
Helping teachers that come to his desk,
And he's also given time to write!
It makes him feel just so blessed!

He has another acronym job,
He works after the first,
Packing packages at UPS,
Until they're ready to burst!

But two jobs aren't enough,
He seems to be a glutton for affliction,
He didn't stop at his Bachelor's,
He almost has an MFA in Fiction!

I don't think that Seuss
Usually used such big words.
So perhaps this poem should wrap up,
Before it gets too absurd.

But thank you for reading,
Stranger, bud, friendo, friend,
I hope you'll check back now and again,
But until then have a great day.
And leave me a cool comment!

Oh, and just in case I tricked you - you're still reading this as if it should rhyme, aren't you - but yeah, just in case I tricked you with the title, here's me doing an a capella cover of one of my all-time favorite Jack Johnson songs. Admit it, that's why you really showed up. And who could blame you! (Note: If you were looking for the original Jack Johnson song, I do apologize).


1 comment:

  1. Clever poem, Ben! I'm always impressed when someone takes the rhythm and style of a well-known poem or song and puts original words to it. I'll be looking forward to more new posts!

    ReplyDelete