Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Poetry Portfolio 2: Rhetoric Strikes Back

Hey everyone,
So I have a few minutes before class and I realized I haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd go ahead and add some more poems since the first blog post got so many hits. Also, expect the year in review lists for music, video games, movies and possibly more to begin soon (especially since I'll be finished classes pretty soon).

So without further ado, here's a handful more of poems I've written. Let me know what you think.




Haiku Seasons
Chickadee chirping
About the cherry blossoms:
Springtime has arrived.

Bumblebee buzzing
And flying in small circles:
Summer settles in.

Whippoorwill leaving
Flying southward to stay warm:
Autumn falls in place.

Grizzly bear snoring
Beneath a snowy blanket:
Winter slows our pace.

Clerihew
M. Night Shyamalan
Is irony’s very biggest fan
Just when The Happening was released
His growing career became deceased.

The Invincible Warrior
Tadakatsu Honda was Japan’s finest soldier
All other warriors bowed before him on the battlefield
Daimyo across the land wanted him at their side
At Anegawa he showed no man’s steel was colder
Killing any poor samurai unwilling to yield
After sixty battles he was never injured
“The warrior who surpassed death itself”
Spear of legend in hand: Dragonfly Cutter
Under Tokugawa he unified a nation

iFrustration
Though you care for my music,
Thousands of songs,
And even hold all my movies,
Right where they belong,

You can make me so furious,
When you glitch and freeze.
I just want to smash you,
When you sputter and seize.

But still I bring you everywhere,
Despite your design,
Because I love the music you keep,
Every limerick and line.

I’ve never had a relationship get me so aggravated,
I can’t wait until a new model makes you antiquated.

Pearl Necklace
Her ginger hair so soft and delicate,
Yet neat and proper beneath her bonnet.
Her face so flawless and brilliant,
Her amaranth lips curled in a faint smile.

Though she appears pale in her portrait,
Costa’s woman emits a wondrous glow.
But she is not destined to be the focal point,
All eyes are drawn to her necklace.

The white pearls round her neck,
Cast a shadow she cannot escape.
The crimson jewel weighs her down,
Heavy around her smooth pallid nape.

Still she curtly smirks despite losing her name,
Her necklace a curse forever stealing her fame.

One of these Days I'll Find Her...
One of these days I'll find a girl who likes country music but also rocks out to all kinds of stuff;
who finds not only Spongebob and Zombieland hilarious but also Psych and Ferris Bueller;
who prefers The Princess Bride to The Notebook;
who knows who Hayao Miyazaki is as well as Wes Craven and John Hughes;
who isn't afraid to admit she's weird and doesn't take herself too seriously;
who loves adventures as well as the simple things;
who doesn't have a favorite color but instead a favorite ice-cream flavor;
who quotes Disney movies as well as Lord of the Rings or Star Wars;
who laughs for no reason;
who makes me smile when I think of her;
who plays footsies, Mario Kart, and Monopoly;
who loves dogs, bonfires, cozy couches, and rainy nights,
who cares more about her friends than her cell-phone;
and when I finally do find her I'll be so dumbfounded that I'll trip over my words and seem like an idiot.
One of these days... I'll find her and never let her go.


~Ben Gentry

No comments:

Post a Comment