Saturday, March 5, 2011

Farewell X-Box 360

 
So today I'm finally going to trade my X-Box 360 in to Gamestop since they are giving an extra 50$ trade-in credit and I haven't turned the thing on in roughly a month. I know that any cries and complaints I will express here are almost cliché at this point due to the overwhelming amount of negative media out there about the 360 but I'm going to cry and complain anyway.

I should first state that the 360 in question is actually my third or fourth 360 due to various issues with freezing and the system generally not being built even remotely well. I managed never to get the dreaded Red Ring of Death but that doesn't mean I avoided the other avalanche of issues that plague one of the most faulty products I can think of. Imagine if other items you purchased had a 54.2% chance of failing? Would you drive a car where the odds that it would break down were better than the odds that it would actually work? Having worked at Gamestop for a little while now, I can also attest to this statistic. I don't think I've yet to work a shift where someone has not either traded in a broken X-Box 360 or called about/mentioned issues with one.

However, this is not the reason I'm trading in my X-Box 360 - miraculously the unit is still somehow working - no, I'm trading it in because there simply isn't a reason to have both the 360 and PS3. Like many, I used to simply have the 360 because of the fantastic online capability and party system... but when it comes down to it, I'd rather not pay the eight or nine dollars a month (I'm monthly subscribed for some reason) and enjoy PS3s comparable FREE online.

The only real benefits to the 360 that remain then would be the exclusives and the FPS-centered controller. Well as for the controller, I think I'm going to try this and this. And as far as exclusives go, let's look at what's been planned exclusively for PS3 this year:

Killzone 3
LittleBigPlanet 2
Resistance 3
Infamous 2
Socom 4
Uncharted 3
(just to name a few)

Now let's take a gander at X-Box 360's exclusives:

Gears of War 3
Kinectimals
Umm... Halo Map Packs?

I sure hope X-Box is up to something and has some serious plans for E3 this June because at this rate I think the choice is fairly obvious. But what do you think? Do you have any 360 stories to tell me? Am I just being a ranting fanboy?

P.S. Have a super awesome Playstation commercial:

1 comment:

  1. I knew I was ahead of the curve sticking with Sony ;)

    ReplyDelete