Sunday, January 16, 2011

Listen Bud, He's Got Radioactive Blood!

I thought I'd do just a little post here in honor of everyone's favorite wall-crawler since I haven't done a non-2010 list post in nearly a month. Before I get to what I have to say about Peter Parker and his web-slinging alter-ego though, why don't I fill everyone in on what's been going on.

Gentry Update: Well firstly, I went up to Montreal with my friend Eric last weekend and it was a blast. We didn't really do much other than eat at some sweet restaurants (La Belle Province, Cote St. Luc, and Tim Horton's ftw) and see Season of the Witch - which I really wouldn't suggest... and I LIKE Nicolas Cage unlike most people - at le colisée (the coliseum - a huge movie theatre). We tried to go to the Biodome in downtown Montreal but it was obviously only closed on Mondays in January and February... probably just for us. Anyway we plan on going back probably in the summer since I don't know if Spring Break will work (and it won't be snowing in the summer... hopefully...). Oh I also was lucky enough to see a bunch of my old friends (miss you guys!).



Let's see, apart from that I've just been enjoying my winter break. Christmas and my birthday were awesome. Both were pretty low key other than the huge snow-storm and the fact that I got a new PS3 with the move. I'll give some thoughts and opinions on that a bit later. Yeah, all in all it's been a pretty lazy holiday and I'm actually somewhat excited to go back to school this Tuesday.

Spidey: So if you haven't heard, I love Spider-man! He's probably my favorite super-hero of all time. Lately I've been really into Spidey's escapades thanks to a 2009 animated series I stumbled upon called "The Spectacular Spider-man." If you've never seen it you should definitely check out the youtube video below (they have the entire series on youtube actually). While the cartoon is certainly directed towards a younger audience, true Spider-fans will recognize nearly every character and situation as well as some awesome new spins - I particularly love the episode where Tinkerer, Chameleon, and Mysterio team up to create a fake Spider-man and destroy the real Spidey's reputation.



Aside from that I've been trying to read some of the original Amazing Spider-man comics, although they are a bit hard to find around here. I also have the first two volumes of Ultimate Spider-man - which is fantastic and I would suggest it to anyone looking to get into the friendly neighborhood hero. Speaking of Ultimate Spidey, that brings me to the main reason I thought I'd do this post - the reboot of the Spider-man movies.

Unlike most people, I actually really enjoy all three of the Spider-man films by Sam Raimi. Sure they have their flaws but why focus on them and pick at them instead of just enjoying the action? However, LIKE most people I was somewhat stunned and confused after Sony announced they were going to reboot the franchise. I think this came as such a surprise not only because the first Spider-man isn't even 10 years old yet, but because a cast and plot were supposedly already set for Spider-man 4 (including John Malkovich as Vulture - which would've been incredible).

Anywho, in case you haven't heard, the new Spider-man film will be starring Andrew Garfield (The Social Network) as Spider-man, Emma Stone (Easy A) as Gwen Stacy, and Rhys Ifans (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) as Dr. Curt Connors/The Lizard with Marc Webb (500 Days of Summer) directing. I have to say I was a bit hesitant about this at first, but after finally seeing The Social Network I can definitely see Garfield pulling off a younger Spidey (especially with the help of the pic below). I'm particularly excited about finally seeing The Lizard and the casting of Ifans as the character (though I think Dylan Baker of the previous Spider-man trilogy would have been great). As for Stone, I think it's a bit of an odd choice (as much as I love her) but I have confidence that she can pull it off.

On a more curious note, IMDb also lists Irrfan Khan (of Slumdog Millionaire) as "Nels Van Adder/ Proto-Goblin." I have no idea how reliable this is (the Proto-Goblin part. I believe Khan has indeed been cast in the film) but it sounds like a pretty neat idea - though I don't know if anyone will ever beat Willem Dafoe as Gobby in my books. I also find it odd that they would go for such an obscure villain when there are so many fantastic ones in the Spider-man universe.

But yeah, all of this to say that I am immensely excited about the new Spider-man film and I wanted to share the pics and information I found with all of you even though the film isn't set to release until July 3, 2012. So what do you think true believers? Do you prefer the old Spider-man trilogy or are you looking forward to a reboot?

The first image released of Garfield in costume.
Production Still of Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) and Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone)

No comments:

Post a Comment