Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Saucy Line Will Not Get You Far With Me

So if you haven't heard, the Oscar nominations for 2010 were announced a couple of days ago and I must say I'm very pleased with the results. Many of my favorite films of the year have been nominated but I think I was most happy to see that Hailee Steinfeld, the incredible young actress of only 14, was nominated for Best Supporting Actress (Mattie Ross in True Grit). I think it's a bit of a shame that she was not recognized as the lead actress of the film merely because of her age but it is certainly well deserved for a fantastic job nonetheless.

As usual I somehow missed the movie that received the most nominations (The King's Speech) but I did manage to see a fair amount of the other films nominated including 127 Hours - which I just saw yesterday. If you're unfamiliar with the film (which I think most people are at this point) it's an adaptation of the very true story about how hiker Aron Ralston became trapped under an 800 pound boulder for 5 days before amputating his own arm with a blunt pocket knife. As you can imagine, it's not the easiest film to watch, but with Danny Boyle (of Slumdog Millionaire fame) at the helm it was incredibly well done. James Franco received a nomination for Best Actor for his portrayal and I do believe it's also well deserved.

I think I'll actually keep this post short (which I always say but never do) and end it with this paragraph. I'm sure I'll talk more about the Oscars as they draw nearer and I will also try and post an update about what else I've been playing, watching, and generally what's been up in my life (spoiler alert: mostly school). Until then, have a great day and go read my older posts :P

~Ben Gentry

No comments:

Post a Comment