Saturday, February 26, 2011

Still Alive (and Oscar Picks)


Yes, like GLaDOS I am in fact still alive despite the fact that I haven't posted anything in over a week. Firstly, my apologies on that - I've actually been crazy busy between school and work. Secondly, the Oscars are tomorrow night! I've actually seen more than half of the picture nominees this year (haven't seen Black Swan, The Fighter, King's Speech, or The Kids Are All Right) and I must say I'm excited to find out who will win. I recently watched Winter's Bone and while it was incredibly slow I have to say that it definitely wasn't bad and I can see the nomination for Jennifer Lawrence being justified. Alongside Winter's Bone I also rented Megamind, The Road, and Paper Man (I'll attach links to those so you can follow them to their IMDBs).



Megamind was actually surprisingly good and had I seen it earlier I might've considered adding it to my best of 2010 list. It did feel like it wasn't really going anywhere in the middle but Ferrell and Fey both gave some great performances (as well as David Cross - who was awesome) and it ended pretty well.

As for The Road - I'm fairly appalled at Kodi Smit-McPhee not yet being nominated for anything. I know he's young but after incredible performances in both The Road and Let Me In (as well as Romulus, My Son apparently) you would think someone would take notice. As for the film itself, like Winter's Bone it was very slow but it was also very powerful and well acted.

Finally, we have Paper Man - which was probably my favorite of the bunch. I mean on cast alone (Jeff Daniels, Emma Stone, Ryan Reynolds, and Kieran Caulkin) it easily caught my eye. Thank goodness it did too, because the plot was great and there were some fantastic lines and scenes as well as a pretty emotional and powerful theme. There was a sketchy part here and there but ultimately is was pretty great.

Back to the Oscars though. I thought I'd go ahead and post who I think might win in each category (remember I haven't seen all the films). So without further ado here we go:

Best Actor:
Who I think will win: Colin Firth
Who I'd like to see win: James Franco

Supporting Actor:
Who I think will win and would like to see win: Geoffrey Rush

Best Actress:
Who I think will win: Natalie Portman
Who I'd like to see win: haven't really seen enough films in this category

Best Supporting Actress:
Who I think will win: Helena Bonham-Carter
Who I'd like to see win: Hailee Steinfeld (though I do like Bonham-Carter)

Animated Feature Film:
Toy Story 3... duh...

Directing:
Who I think will win: Darren Aronofsky for Black Swan
Who I'd like to see win: David Fincher for Social Network or Coen Brothers for True Grit 

Music (Original Score):
Who I think will win and would like to see win: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for The Social Network

Best Picture:
This one is tricky... I'm going to go out on a limb and say The King's Speech even though I haven't seen it.

So there you have it. Why not make your own predictions? Do you agree with me? Who do you want to win?

(P.S. I'll try to post more when I can since I do have a lot more to talk about. As for the most anticipated of 2011 list... I'm feeling like it's a bit too late but I might do a most anticipated of summer or holiday or something. Sorry.)

1 comment:

  1. I saw The King's Speech and it was was quite quite good, nothing like the movies i usually enjoy but undeniably great in almost every way.

    ReplyDelete